Thursday rides are no-drop rides focused on adventure and camaraderie. Thursdays offer a great opportunity to practice group riding skills. Each week, a different experienced ride leader will select a safe route and format for the night, which typically include a “short turn” (early bail out) option. We ride as a group and sometimes practice skills and tactics. Often we grab a bite to eat and a drink after the ride is over.
This ride is many things to many people. Whether you’re interested in learning to race or you are just looking for a fun group ride, you’re welcome to join RCC for a Thursday Night Adventure Ride!
This is a no-drop ride and we ride the majority of the route as a cooperative group. Some routes will include relatively short faster sections to get the heart pumping and have some fun. These sections are optional, announced beforehand and always end at a pre-determined spot where we regroup. It is a great way to practice going fast before trying out a full Tuesday Night Race.
Thursdays are also about learning to lead. Different club members will lead rides throughout the summer. Sign up to lead a ride and you will have the chance to show everyone your favourite route!
July 2020 COVID UPDATE!
Following the Saskatchewan.ca COVID-19 guidelines (see: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/health-care-administration-and-provider-resources/treatment-procedures-and-guidelines/emerging-public-health-issues/2019-novel-coronavirus/re-open-saskatchewan-plan/guidelines/outdoor-sports-and-activities-guidelines), we will be allowed to resume our non-competitive group rides as part of phase 4 of the reopening. So, it is with great pleasure that I announce RCC will be resuming our Thursday group rides on Thursday July 9th, with a few important modifications:
1) We will need everyone who wants to participate to register in advance for the ride EACH week by entering their name on the registration list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g1GTWLnggbaPHVj_S7FEe2wIJcQG3bskpkFLRpwFweI/edit?usp=sharing
2) Each group will be limited to no larger than 10 riders, however, we will be aiming to have smaller groups (e.g., 5-7 riders). When you register, you can suggest which group you might like to go in, but some people may need to be shuffled for numbers.
3) AT ALL TIMES riders will maintain social distancing (MINIMUM 2m separation). A staggered formation will be used when possible to safely increase distance between riders.
4) To avoid any large groups in parking lots, each group will meet in different location, which will be determined each week by your ride leader. Your ride leader each week will be in contact with further details.
5) Each group will be led by a ride leader, who is required to carry first aid, a mask, sanitizer, and gloves, to be used in case any rider requires assistance that means social distancing cannot be kept. Anyone who would like to volunteer to lead a group – please message me.
6) Your help is appreciated in ensuring our registration list is accurate each week as may be asked to use this information for contact tracing.
7) Guests and “try a ride” is not permitted on RCC events at this time. This may change in the future.
8) Spitting, “snot rockets” will not be permitted
9) If you are unwell, please do not attend ANY RCC EVENTS.
10) Participants should arrive no more than 5-10 minutes prior to the event before the scheduled event to reduce people gathering in groups
11) Participants should bring hand sanitizer for themselves and consider bringing other protective equipment such as masks as they see fit.
12) All participants are required to sign the new COVID-19 waiver which has been sent to you by email from CCN.
13) You CANNOT register or sign the waiver in person. We simply can’t be handing around paper and pens right now.
14) As always, everyone is responsible for making their own risk assessment during cycling activities and riders should only participate in activities appropriate for their skill and experience level. In the era of COVID-19, assessing risks also means thinking about risks related to possibly exposing yourself or others as a result of the activity. This is a tentative schedule for now. We will be monitoring the situation with regards to COVID19 and letting you know if events will be cancelled, changed, or postponed. Rules may change quickly and we will do our best to keep you updated. Let’s work together to have some fun, but also make sure that RCC is not in the news as the next covid outbreak. See you next Thursday!